Angus medallions with pearl onion and red wine sauce
History and properties of angus beef
Angus is the name of the breed of cattle that was specifically bred from cattle indigenous of Scotland by a man named Hugh Watson in the mid-19th century, it's a black-hided breed without horns. It is believed that nearly all the Black Angus cattle alive today came from the results of Watson's attempts to maximize the black hide of these animals. In the 1870s these cattle were brought to the United States and by the 1880s, the American Angus Association was founded.
The term Angus does not imply that the beef is organic, natural, or of a higher grade than any other type of beef. This type of beef develops with better marbling (the amount of intramuscular fat) than most cattle. Most people agree that marbling improves flavor, tenderness, and keeps meat moist while cooking, especially at high temperatures.
A very tasty recipe using angus beef
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® sirloin filets (2-3 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup frozen petite pearl onions
- 1/2 cup red wine blend
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Pat sirloin medallions dry. Heat oil in a frying pan over a barbecue grill. Sear medallions, till browning on each side to develop a dark mahogany crust; remove from pan.
- Add pearl onions and sear until golden. Add red wine; reduce by half. Add beef stock, tomato paste, salt, pepper and thyme. Simmer for 2 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add medallions, cover and turn off heat. Allow to sit covered for five minutes before serving.
For better results on this recipe, use BOBQ Lump Charcoal. It's made out from 100% Natural Reforested Eucalyptus. Very popular in most of Latin American cultures and some other regions all over the world, hardwood lump charcoal is also used in most of Brazilian Rodizio Steakhouses. With a lot of attention to the production process BOB-Q Lump Charcoal is a Super Premium product that will provide you with a unique experience on your barbecue.